SANTA CLARA, Calif., July 29, 2020 — AMD presented cash for the second quarter of 2020 of $1.ninety three billion, running income of $173 million, web income of $157 million and diluted cash per share of $zero.thirteen. On a non-GAAP* foundation, working income was once as soon as $233 million, internet profits was $216 million and diluted earnings per share was once $zero.18.
GAAP Quarterly financial outcomes
A file is a file that objects knowledge in an geared up format for a specific audience and purpose. even supposing summaries of stories can be delivered orally, full critiques are virtually all the time within the kind of written paperwork.
AMD experiences second Quarter 2020 financial results
The 2d (image: s, abbreviation: sec) is the base unit of time inside the international device of devices (SI) (French: Système international d’unités), ceaselessly understood and historically outlined as 1⁄86400 of a day – this issue derived from the division of the day first into 24 hours, then to 60 minutes and eventually to 60 seconds every. Analog clocks and watches often have sixty tick marks on their faces, representing seconds (and minutes), and a “second hand” to mark the passage of time in seconds. Digital clocks and watches endlessly have a two-digit seconds counter. The 2d can be part of a few other gadgets of size like meters per 2nd for percent, meters per 2nd per second for acceleration, and cycles per 2nd for frequency.
even if the historic definition of the unit was once in line with this division of the Earth’s rotation cycle, the formal definition inside the global system of gadgets (SI) is a a lot steadier timekeeper: it is outlined by using the usage of taking the fastened numerical worth of the caesium frequency ∆νCs, the unperturbed ground-state hyperfine transition frequency of the caesium-133 atom, to be 9192631770 when expressed within the unit Hz, which is similar as s−1.
for the reason that Earth’s rotation varies and can be slowing ever so fairly, a leap 2nd is periodically introduced to clock time to handle clocks in sync with Earth’s rotation.
Multiples of seconds are frequently counted in hours and minutes. Fractions of a 2nd are incessantly counted in tenths or hundredths. In scientific work, small fractions of a 2d are counted in milliseconds (thousandths), microseconds (millionths), nanoseconds (billionths), and now and again smaller gadgets of a second. An on a regular basis experience with small fractions of a second is a 1-gigahertz microprocessor which has a cycle time of 1 nanosecond. digicam shutter speeds are regularly expressed in fractions of a second, just like 1⁄30 second or 1⁄1000 2nd.
Sexagesimal divisions of the day from a calendar according to astronomical commentary have existed because the 0.33 millennium BC, though they weren’t seconds as we all know them lately. Small divisions of time could no longer be measured again then, so such divisions were mathematically derived. the first timekeepers that could depend seconds safely had been pendulum clocks invented inside the 17th century. starting within the Fifties, atomic clocks was higher timekeepers than earth’s rotation, they frequently proceed to set the usual lately.
running bills ($M)
working profits ($M)
internet earnings ($M)
profits per share
Non-GAAP* Quarterly monetary results
AMD experiences 2d Quarter 2020 financial results
running payments ($M)
Up $100 and five
working income ($M)
net income ($M)
revenue per share
“We delivered tough 2nd quarter outcomes, led via document computer and server processor gross sales as Ryzen and EPYC earnings larger than doubled from a year ago,” mentioned Dr. Lisa Su, AMD president and CEO. “despite some macroeconomic uncertainty, we’re elevating our full-yr earnings outlook as we enter our subsequent phase of elevate pushed with the help of the acceleration of our trade in multiple markets.”
Q2 2020 outcomes
- earnings was once as soon as $1.93 billion, up 26 % 12 months-over-one year principally driven by way of better Computing and pictures part earnings. income was once as soon as up eight p.c.quarter-over-quarter mainly pushed by using greater exercise, Embedded and Semi-custom-made phase income.
- Gross margin was once once forty four %, up three percentage components 12 months-over-12 months and down 2 proportion factors quarter-over-quarter. The year-over-year raise was once as soon as essentially pushed by the use of Ryzen and EPYC processor sales. The quarter-over-quarter decrease was once on account of increased semi-personalized product sales.
- working income was $173 million compared with working profits of $59 million a 12 months in the past and $177 million within the prior quarter. Non-GAAP operating income was once once $233 million in comparison with operating earnings of $111 million a three hundred and sixty five days in the past and $236 million within the prior quarter. running income more appropriate yr-over-year principally pushed via earnings boom and a larger percentage of Ryzen and EPYC processor product sales.
- web cash used to be $157 million in comparison with net income of $35 million a 365 days ago and $162 million within the prior quarter. Non-GAAP web earnings used to be $216 million compared to internet earnings of $92 million a 12 months previously and $222 million within the prior quarter.
- Diluted earnings per share was $zero.13 compared to diluted income per share of $zero.03 a 12 months in the past and $0.14 within the prior quarter. Non-GAAP diluted revenue per share used to be $zero.18 when compared with diluted income per share of $0.08 a year in the past and $zero.18 within the prior quarter.
- money and cash equivalents had been $1.seventy eight billion on the end of the quarter.
Quarterly financial segment summary
- Computing and portraits part cash used to be $1.37 billion, up forty five %year-over-365 days and down 5 percent quarter-over-quarter. income was once higher yr-over-12 months pushed via tough Ryzen processor product sales. The quarter-over-quarter decline was due to decrease snap shots processor gross sales.
- consumer processor reasonable promoting worth (ASP) was once up yr-over-yr pushed with assistance from Ryzen processor sales. shopper processor ASP was down quarter-over-quarter as a result of the following percentage of Ryzen mobile processor gross sales.
- GPU ASP was decrease 12 months-over-twelve months and quarter-over-quarter because of decrease channel sales.
- operating earnings was once $200 million in comparison with $22 million a yr in the past and $262 million within the prior quarter. The one year-over-yr raise was once pushed with the help of better revenue. The quarter-over-quarter decline was on account of greater working bills and reduce earnings.
- undertaking, Embedded and Semi-customized part revenue was once $565 million, down 4 p.c.year-over-three hundred and sixty five days and up 62 p.c quarter-over-quarter. earnings was once decrease yr-over-year because of decrease semi-custom-made product gross sales principally offset by means of higher EPYC processor gross sales. The quarter-over-quarter bring up used to be as soon as pushed with the aid of larger EPYC processor and semi-custom-made product sales.
- operating salary was once once $33 million in comparison with $89 million a yr up to now and an working loss of $26 million within the prior quarter. The yr-over-12 months decline was as a result of higher working payments and decrease earnings. The quarter-over-quarter raise was once pushed with assistance from better income.
- All completely different operating loss was once $60 million in comparison with running losses of $fifty two million a year previously and $fifty nine million in the prior quarter.
newest PR Highlights
- information center adoption of twond Gen AMD EPYC processors persevered to speed up with distinct cloud, endeavor and excessive-performance computing (HPC) wins.
- Google introduced new non-public virtual Machines for Google Compute Engine powered exclusively by the use of AMD EPYC processors that includes AMD steady Encrypted Virtualization. These personal VMs present buyers with information safety and excessive-efficiency cloud computing enabled by way of developed safety features on AMD EPYC processors.
- Amazon web products and services and merchandise (AWS) brought its sixth AMD EPYC processor-powered cloud instance home, the brand new Amazon EC2 C5a instances for purchasers working compute intensive workloads.
- Oracle and AMD presented that AMD EPYC processors are bringing type-main memory bandwidth and core depend to the new Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Compute E3 platform for common goal and high bandwidth workloads.
- Dell applied sciences, HPE, IBM Cloud, Nutanix, Supermicro, VMware and others announced offerings powered via the new AMD EPYC 7Fx2 processor domestic that convey excessive-frequency processing energy and per-core performance management to enterprise workloads.
- Dell applied sciences announced its first hyperconverged infrastructure software, the VxRail E sequence, in line with AMD EPYC processors.
- the logo new Nvidia DGX A100 device harnesses the efficiency, core rely and PCIe® 4 toughen of AMD EPYC processors to hurry up diverse AI workloads comparable to knowledge analytics, coaching and inference.
- industrial momentum for AMD shopper processors is rising, pushed through Ryzen professional efficiency, security options and seamless administration for probably the most traumatic trade environments.
- Lenovo and AMD offered the Lenovo ThinkStation P620 powered by way of the use of AMD Ryzen Threadripper skilled processors, along with a sixty four-core skilled laptop CPU. the logo new AMD Ryzen Threadripper skilled processor family features leadership efficiency, unrivalled bandwidth and AMD pro applied sciences which embody endeavor-grade safety and manageability options.
- AMD offered the AMD Ryzen professional 4000 series cell processors, bringing final effectivity, work anywhere flexibility, security features and seamless manageability for model new IT infrastructures. enterprise notebooks powered by the use of the AMD Ryzen pro 4000 sequence are on hand now from HP and Lenovo.
- AMD elevated its private pc processor portfolio with the threerd Gen AMD Ryzen 3000XT collection pc processors, that includes better increase frequencies that ship elite performance in gaming and content material advent in comparison with prior know-how.
- Apple announced the newest sixteen-inch MacBook skilled that includes the AMD Radeon professional 5600M cellular GPU, bringing pc-class pics effectivity to consumers on the go.
- AMD presented the AMD Radeon pro VII pc photographs card with AMD Infinity cloth hyperlink expertise, delivering exceptional images and computing efficiency for broadcast and engineering mavens.
- AMD introduced it is contributing cloud-primarily based definitely supercomputing tactics powered via AMD EPYC processors and AMD Radeon instinct accelerators as a part of the AMD HPC Fund for COVID-19 diagnosis. The applications it will be dropped at the big apple college (NYU), Massachusetts Institute of know-how (MIT) and Rice faculty in partnership with Penguin Computing to supply a ways flung supercomputing capabilities for chosen researchers around the globe.
AMD’s outlook statements are in keeping with present expectations and ponder the present COVID-19 ambiance, world economic backdrop and consumer demand signals. the next statements are ahead-having a look, and actual results could vary materially counting on market must haves, COVID-19 elements and the components set forth underneath “Cautionary statement” below.
For the third quarter of 2020, AMD expects salary to be approximately $2.fifty five billion, plus or minus $a hundred million, a upward push of roughly forty two percentyear-over-365 days and 32 % sequentially. The three hundred and sixty five days-over-yr and sequential will raise are anticipated to be essentially pushed by way of Ryzen and EPYC processor product sales and subsequent know-how semi-customized products. AMD expects non-GAAP gross margin to be roughly forty 4 % in the 0.33 quarter of 2020. Gross margin is expected to increase year-over-twelve months basically pushed with assistance from Ryzen and EPYC processor product sales.
AMD now expects 2020 income to grow via roughly 32 p.c when put next with 2019 pushed by using doable in pc, gaming and information middle products. Non-GAAP gross margin is anticipated to be roughly 45 %.
for additonal photos and the whole announcement, talk over with https://ir.amd.com/information-releases/information-release-necessary factors/amd-stories-2nd-quarter-2020-financial-outcomes
For 50 years, AMD has pushed innovation in excessive-effectivity computing, % and visualization applied sciences – the constructing blocks for gaming, immersive systems and the information middle. a lot of of a whole lot of thousands of customers, high Fortune 500 firms and chopping-space scientific analysis facilities around the globe rely upon AMD technology daily to fortify how they dwell, work and play. AMD workers all over the world are considering constructing nice merchandise that push the boundaries of what is possible. for added information about how AMD is enabling as of late and galvanizing the next day to come, consult with the AMD web site, blog, fb and Twitter pages.