Harry Maguire will also be assessed while Victor Lindelof may return from a back injury, but Ashley Young is suspended.
Manchester () is a major city and metropolitan borough in Greater Manchester, England, with a population of 545,500 as of 2017 (5th most populous English district). It lies within the United Kingdom’s second-most populous urban area, with a population of 2.7 million, and third-most populous metropolitan area, with a population of 3.3 million. It is fringed by the Cheshire Plain to the south, the Pennines to the north and east, and an arc of towns with which it forms a continuous conurbation. The local authority for the city is Manchester City Council.
The recorded history of Manchester began with the civilian settlement associated with the Roman fort of Mamucium or Mancunium, which was established in about AD 79 on a sandstone bluff near the confluence of the rivers Medlock and Irwell. It is historically a part of Lancashire, although areas of Cheshire south of the River Mersey were incorporated in the 20th century. The first to be included, Wythenshawe, was added to the city in 1931. Throughout the Middle Ages Manchester remained a manorial township, but began to expand “at an astonishing rate” around the turn of the 19th century. Manchester’s unplanned urbanisation was brought on by a boom in textile manufacture during the Industrial Revolution, and resulted in it becoming the world’s first industrialised city. Manchester achieved city status in 1853. The Manchester Ship Canal opened in 1894, creating the Port of Manchester and directly linking the city to the Irish Sea, 36 miles (58 km) to the west. Its fortune declined after the Second World War, owing to deindustrialisation, but the IRA bombing in 1996 led to extensive investment and regeneration. Following successful redevelopment after the IRA bombing, Manchester was the host city for the 2002 Commonwealth Games.
Manchester is the third most visited city in the UK, after London and Edinburgh. It is notable for its architecture, culture, musical exports, media links, scientific and engineering output, social impact, sports clubs and transport connections.
A city of notable firsts, Manchester Liverpool Road railway station was the world’s first inter-city passenger railway station. The city has also excelled in scientific advancement, as it was at The University of Manchester in 1917 that scientist Ernest Rutherford first split the atom, in 1948 Frederic C. Williams, Tom Kilburn, and Geoff Tootill developed and built the world’s first stored-program computer, and in 2004 Andre Geim and Konstantin Novoselov successfully isolated and characterised the first graphene.
Manchester United v Brighton Hove Albion
United may refer to:
Brighton defender Adam Webster has been ruled out after being substituted last weekend with an ankle injury.
Leandro Trossard could start after scoring as a substitute versus Norwich.
Manchester United v Brighton Hove Albion
MOTD COMMENTATOR’S NOTES
@ConorMcNamaraIE: The last time Manchester United started a league season this badly was 33 years ago under Ron Atkinson. Patience ran out in November that year when Aberdeen’s Alex Ferguson was appointed. The rest is Old Trafford history.
United started with a front three on Thursday and each of Anthony Martial, Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford scored. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer must hope that scoring touch can be transferred to the league.
Brighton have found a new groove in recent weeks, with three wins in their last four games. Those victories, though, have all come at home… and Brighton have never won at Old Trafford.
VIEW FROM THE DUGOUT
Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on the Europa League win: “This is a little bit of a template on how we want to play, definitely.
“No disrespect to Partizan, but they gave us spaces. Of course after we scored the first goal, they went forward.
“These boys are learning. Tonight will give them loads of pointers of how to play. Even though the opposition is not the same as in the Premier League, it was still good principles.”
Brighton Hove Albion head coach Graham Potter: “It would be great to get a result this weekend at one of the best places in world football.
“Their quality is undoubted and we respect that – but we want to go there and be ourselves and take on the challenge in a positive way.”
Brighton play some nice football and are going well, but United are at home and they surely won’t slip up this time.
Lawro’s full predictions v ‘The Irishman’ star Stephen Graham
- Manchester United have never lost in 11 previous home meetings with Brighton in all competitions, winning nine and drawing two.
- Brighton have won two of their last three games against United, having triumphed in just one of the previous 18 in all competitions (D5, L12).
- The home side has won all four Premier fixtures, and each victory has been by a one-goal margin.
- Manchester United have won just three times in 16 Premier League matches (D6, L7).
- However, they are unbeaten in 41 home games in November since losing 2-1 against Chelsea in 1996, a Premier League record for a single month (W34, D7).
- They are one of only three Premier League teams yet to score from a corner or free-kick this season.
- United have kept two clean sheets in 22 league matches.
- The Red Devils have been fouled 156 times in 2019-20, more than any other Premier League side prior to the weekend.
- They have had only four different Premier League goalscorers this campaign, a joint-league low alongside Crystal Palace.
Brighton Hove Albion
- Brighton can equal their club Premier League record of three straight wins, set in October 2018.
- A victory in this fixture would give them 18 points after 12 matches, their best return at this stage of the season.
- The Seagulls have lost 13 of their 14 Premier League away matches against established top-six opposition, only avoiding defeat in a 1-1 draw at Arsenal in May.
- The aggregate score in those 14 fixtures was 30-3.
- Albion have registered four Premier League clean sheets – only Manchester City and Sheffield United, with five, have recorded more.
- Brighton’s substitutes have contributed four goals, the joint-best return of any Premier League club, along with Sheffield United.